Thursday, October 6, 2011

Wonderful Things - and People.

Wow I've been busy!  But in the best way.  I'm not stressed, nor am I lacking in excitement.  Let me explain.  I've been carving time for just me and God, for me to just rest in his presence.  I'm making prayer a priority, slowly but surely (I'm getting there).  And at the same time I have so many things going on all the time.  Opportunities galore.  School has most of my attention, as I am taking 17 credits and studying hard.  But I am also going to Campus Outreach events, Voice Gospel choir practice (we have a performance next Friday!), Phi Alpha Delta rush (pre-law frat), multiple hang-outs with friends, bible studies, and extra credit events through my Comparative Politics class.  A little side note, Comparative Politics has been a great opportunity in itself.  My teacher gives us extra credit for attending lectures from prominent interest group leaders and policy makers.  Examples include speech and Q&A seminars with the Israeli Major General, the leader of the DC vote movement (DC residents lack voting rights), and more recently today I went to the Israeli and Jordanian embassies (a WONDERFUL experience and I asked lots of questions).  All in all, my schedule is always full of wonderful things but I am trying to make intimacy a priority.  It's hard, but if a college student can do it then ANYONE can.

The weather has been super bi-polar.  One day I am freaking out having to run to the mall to buy my first winter coat because I'm frightened that I will freeze to death.  The next, I am donning shorts and a tee and sun-bathing outside the World Bank.  My favorite is the in-between, when I fell asleep on a quiet hill on the Vern, listening to the birds sing and feeling the nice crisp breeze.

Best part of these past couple weeks is by far the surprise visit from my Uncle Robin and Aunt Giselle, my wonderful neighbors who are family to me.  They chose DC as their family vacation and visited with me the whole time.  What a blessing!!!  We went out to dinner at various metro stops that I had never been to.  My favorites were the Archives, where a trumpet player crooned a gentle ballad as I gaze upon a huge fountain and trees, and Dupont Circle, a wonderland of hip restaurants and beautiful neighborhoods.  The first night they came, they treated me to oysters and I treated them to the Lincoln at night.  The second day, I went with them to the National Museum of Natural History.  The last night we ate in China town.  It definitely wasn't enough.  But it makes me crave them even more for when I come back in thanksgiving.



Downfall: my permanent retainer broke today and I have to get it fixed tomorrow at a random orthodontics office.  It is super uncomfortable but at least I live in a country where I can go down the street and get decent care.  Because it would suck if I was in the Peace Corps right now.  Seriously.   This sucksssssssssss.....

But God makes all things new and He is awesommeeeeeeeee alksdhflaskdjhfalksdjhfalskdjhf !!!!!!*&^(*!&^!^!!!!

I'm crazy.  Pray for me.
Katrina.

No comments:

Post a Comment