Monday, August 20, 2012

E4P update

Response to: http://pathsstraight.blogspot.com/2012/07/ephesians-4-project.html



8/20

 It’s been 18 days since my first interview.  It was with a kind, understanding Episcopal priest who had some theology that definitely strayed from the inerrancy of scripture (i.e. homosexuality is not in itself a sin, heaven in just a spiritual union not a real place, salvation entails both faith in Christ & works – sacraments, good works)**.  However, I will applaud him for this: all he knew when I called was that I wanted to learn more about the Episcopal faith.  That’s all I said over the phone.  And in just that he said “Absolutely!”  He warmly invited me into his church and told me all about being an Episcopalian.  He was so hospitable, understanding and ready to answer any of my questions.  I thought this was a norm.  I thought all priests and pastors were excited to hear that someone actually WANTS them to share their faith with them.  It’s an open invitation: TELL ME! 

However I found after calling over fifteen churches that it is not the norm.  Far from it.  I simply would ask churches “I would like to more about the ___ faith and wanted to come in to talk to someone.” Every church a) blew me off, b) told me they would call me back and never did, or c) one church even told me that I had to come to a service FIRST and THEN ask questions.  When I told her that was impossible because I was leaving soon, she said sorry can’t help ya.  What is this arrogancy?  What is this unwelcomeness?  Lack of desire to share one’s faith?  Not once did I ever say I was doing a project or an interview, but that I simply wanted to personally learn more.  That should be enough. 

So even though the Episcopal priest had really questionable ideas to say the least, he agreed to speak with me.  Just like that.  We can really learn something from them (Episcopalians):  Welcome seekers.  Be ready in and out of season as Paul says.  Don’t immediately think the worst in someone, but be understanding.  And most importantly, it’s GOOD NEWS so we should want to share it!

Disappointed but still full of faith and encouragement,

Katrina Doyle



P.S. Will be posting the deets of the interview soon.  First I want to collect more answers from other denominations and put it all on one document.

** One of the main tenants of Escopalianism that was explained to me is that reason opens a lot to debate.  Many if not most Episcopalians do not agree with everything the priest said, especially those that I mentioned.  They would have a more conservative view.  So don’t overgeneralize like was tempted to do!

2 comments:

  1. i actually attended a gospel-believing episcopal church in myrtle beach all summer. it was theologically sound and christ centered. i'd love to tell you more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayy! I am so glad to hear, and not too surprised. It probably isn't fair that I haven't posted his full answers/reasoning. My boss is actually a bible-believing Episcopalian and super awesome. I love to see God's hand in the diversity of our Christian brothers and sisters. But anyway, YOU must tell me all about this church and more - all the other incredible Beach Project stuff! Miss you Donna girl! :D

    ReplyDelete