Monday, August 20, 2012

Summer Closing Up

As the summer closes up, I wanted to reflect on the assignments/projects I completed.  One was my internship at Florida Coalition Against Human Trafficking.  Today was my last day, and I have to say that I will definitely miss working in that office.  I worked alongside the most knowledgeable and dynamic peple I could ask for.  They patiently taught me everything they knew about trafficking, the laws, the effects, the symptoms, the causes, the stories.  I felt as though I took a college course on Human Trafficking simply because of the amount of knowledge I acquired from serving there.  FCAHT really taught me servanthood.  How sacrificial love is played out in our society, and our role as believers in accomplishing God's work on the earth even when you don't feel like it.  I will forever have a trauma-informed perspective, meaning that I don't immediately judge people because of the way they act, rather I ask the question "What happened to you?"  More often than not, angry/hurt people have been abused.  This kind of victim-centered aproach which I learned from the Crisis Center screams JESUS.  Jesus looked at the sinners and invited them into his love.  He is patient, kind, compassionate and never accusing anyone.  For Satan is the accuser.
The second project I had a leadership role in was Kneel United.  Kneel United was a united prayer concert in which thousands of youth came to the Sun Dome to pray for our city and our country.  Christians of all shapes and sizes, denominations as diverse as butterflies, all coming together for one banner - Christ.  It was all because of a vision the Lord gave to a young kid named Jake Kennedy, a few months ago.  A picture of thousands of youth kneeling at the sun dome sparking a citywide and nationwide revival told his spiritman - I need to do this!  He immediately started acting in radical faith, calling everyone he knew, convincing his parents through scripture, getting people on board.  I was one of those touched by Jake's vision and partnered with him this summer in seeing that vision through.  On August 18th, this past Saturday, thousands of people came to hear community leaders and youth pray on stage while worshipping with local worship teams and famous artists - Becka Shae and Luminate.  When I prayed, fire came out of my mouth.  I let the Holy Spirit take control and just started declaring freedom over the whole city.  It was an incredible experience.  To me, the best part of the entire experience wasn't the planning, the worship, the prayer, but the three people who stood up in the middle of the arena in front of thousands and gave their lives to Christ.  That is what it came down to.  Three people coming to life.  And this was just the first Kneel United.  I believe we're going to see this for years and years to come.

The third is the Ephesians 4 Project.  Something I came up with that has a lot to do with unity in the church as well.  In fact, that is the heart behind it.  The mission is to gain understanding and love for our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ by hearing from their perspective why they believe what they believe.  My recent post explaining E4P can be found here.  With my last day at FCAHT and occurance of Kneel United, I have finally have time to devote to E4P.  Stay tuned!

The most important thing that happened this summer to me was Circuit Riders.  In it, I broke free from the spirit of criticism, pride, fear, shame, unbelief (was the biggest), and many other strongholds in my life that held me back from knowing the truth.  I was prophesied over so many times that each day I would be like "I don't need any more prayer", but I would get prayed for anyway and get more and more and more and more free.   And every time was so spot on that within seconds of someone laying hands on me I would burst into tears and/or laugh uncontrollably simply because it was God speaking to me directly - exactly what my heart needed to hear from him.  Things I didn't even realize I needed to hear, but God would pull something from the wounds in my heart and bring up old hurts/abuses that I tried to cover up myself.  God wanted those hurts to heal himself.  There was so much letting go, so much surrender at Circuit Riders that I felt and feel like a completely new person.  And for the first time, all I want to do is preach the gospel.  I've been doing street evangelism here in Tampa with my good friends, just preaching the good news!  It's the most important thing we can do aside from knowing God, to lead others to him!  I will never again doubt my ability to evangelize. I will never again doubt my calling.   I will never again doubt God's love for me.   I will never again doubt his power.  I wll never again doubt HIM.

JESUS!




1 comment:

  1. Hello Katrina,

    I have read about your committment to the work of the Lord and your involvement with Kneel United and I wanted to reach out to you in hopes that you might be able to assist our organization. Please see below for an overview of our organization:

    2nd C.H.A.N.C.E Center 4 Boyz is a Christ-centered nonprofit located in Tampa, Fl that works with boys that have experienced some type of involvement in the juvenile justice system. We serve this population in several ways:

    1. We go into the local detention centers and DJJ residential facilities and conduct character development groups as well as mentor the young men in the programs.

    2. We work with at-risk young men in the community conducting groups in high juvenile crime areas; one area specifically is the Sulphur Springs Community in Tampa

    3. Our community-based component of our program also focuses on providing positive extra-curricular & recreational activities for at-risk males such as college tours, sporting events, etc.

    Our long-term vision is acquire a building which would serve as an alternative to placing young men in secure detention, because research has shown that young men that are placed in secure detention are more likely to re-offend.

    Our core philosophy is that every boy and young man deserves a 2ND chance to achieve their goals and become a successful adult, despite the mistakes they have made or barriers in their life. Through utilizing a strength-based approach within a social-ecological & a faith-based framework; boys will be less likely to become involved delinquent behavior.

    We are asking God to help us secure Tony Dungy as a keynote speaker for a fundraising event so that we can raise the necessary funds to acquire a facility that will serve as an alternative to putting young men in juvenile detention. I have heard about your heart for helping those in need and I was hoping that you might be able to assist us with making a connection with Jake Kennedy, the organizer of Kneel United so that I can solicit his help with organizing a huge fundraising event. I would also like to solicit your assistance as well.

    Please review our website at www.2ndchance4boyz.org and if you find merit in what our ministry is attempting to do; please help us. Young men are losing their lives daily to crime in our community and we would like your help to stop this issue.

    Respectfully,

    Keith Babb

    FYI: If you are open to helping us please send me a note through our website.

    ReplyDelete