Friday, August 3, 2012

Peace, Love, and Justice

"When we go school supply shopping, can I get binders that make me happy?  Like ones with little flowers on them?" I begged.  My mom replied with a smirk, "Like Peace, Love, and Justice?"  I raised my eyebrow in confusion.  She expanded, "I know what you meant.  It made me think of Peace, Love, and Jusice - the things that are important to you."

I thought about it and it's true.  I wanted to brush it off at first.  I don't want to be the stereotypical hippie so I try and pretend that I'm not some Kumbaya Warlord.  I always feel like I have to break the mold of what people think I am.  But when it comes down to it - yeah.  I love Peace, Love, and Justice. 

This statement came after a conversation that we had earlier.  We were talking about civil liberties - specifically freedom of speech and freedom of religion.  We talked about discrimination and laws that give special rights to minority groups.  We talked about Chick Fil A day and compared it to the mosque at Ground Zero.  We talked about the difference between Muslims and radical terrorists.  We talked about how trafficking doesn't discriminate by race.  And then, let's just say it ended with a slight disagreement.  I felt like my mom was being really ignorant and injust about having what was in my eyes a bigoted misconception, and she just wouldn't listen to reason.  However after the conversation, I felt like a complete douche.  I felt like I was one of those people who have to go around trying to enlighten everyone.  Specifically, I felt like your stereotypical panties-in-a-wad liberal who thinks you're a horrible decrepid hell-dweller if you don't think the same way.  So mom, I'm sorry. 

Then it made me think.  Can I ever learn to divorce self-righteousness with fighting for justice?  Can I do it in a way that is inviting for both those who agree and disagree?  I have come to the conclusion that only if I allow Love into the equation of Justice can I have Peace. And the source of all Love is God.  So looking to Him I can see what it means to be Just and Loving, the Prince of Peace.   No more wagging my finger at the public like some grumpy old nanny.  It's time to be like Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment